Skip to main content

Visa denial: National Assembly summons US ambassador

Visa denial: National Assembly summons US ambassador 

BTS MEDIA 
December 3,2018 

The National Assembly has summoned the United States Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Stuart Symington, over the alleged high rate of visa denial of Nigerians.
The invitation was said to be at the instance of an activist, Kayode Bello, who petitioned the House over the matter.
BTS MEDIA  had done an investigation into how many Nigerian students seeking to study in US schools were denied visas despite spending a lot of money on different fees.
Some of the fees, our correspondent learnt, were application fees, evaluation fees, courier fees, service fees, visa fees, school fees.
The fees were said to be non-refundable.
While some of the students claimed that they were denied visas because they were not married, others said they were denied because only one of their parents was their sponsor
. parent claimed that his daughter’s interview was cut short because she asked the interviewer to speak up.
Our correspondent was further told that the embassy usually issued preprinted blue papers to those it rejected without giving a specific reason for the decision.
More than three weeks after enquiries were sent to the embassy, no response had been got by BTS MEDIA .
 former ambassador to the US, John Campbell had, however, told our correspondent that visas were given by consular officers on a case by case basis, adding that the refusal of many people to return home after finishing their programmes made the process difficult.
The activist, Bello, petitioned the National Assembly through a member representing the Ede and Ejigbo Federal Constituency, Prof. Mojeed Alabi, after suffering a similar fate of denial.
The summon, titled, ‘Indiscriminate denial of United States of America visa and illegal increment of exchange rate of visa fee by the American embassy’ was signed by the House Committee Chairman on Public Petitions, Uzo Azubuike.
The two-page document, dated November 27, 2018, and a copy of which was received by our correspondent, said the hearing would hold on Tuesday, December 4 at 2pm at the House of Representatives Room 429.
The House asked the ambassador to present 20 copies of his defence.
The Clerk of the House, Mr Omale Adoyi, confirmed the development to our correspondent on Monday.
He, however, said the US embassy rejected the summon.
“But we will go on with the hearing and may have to adjourn if they fail to show up,” he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ngige clarifies govt stand on minimum wage

Ngige clarifies govt stand on minimum wage Published  26 January, 2019  Dr. Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Employment says the minimum wage of N27, 000 is standard for all workers, but the Federal Government will pay federal workers N30,000. The minister made this known in a statement signed by Mrs lliya Rhoda, Assistant Director, Press, of the ministry in Abuja on Saturday. According to the minister, President Muhammadu Buhari constituted a Tripartite Committee on National Minimum Wage in November 2017 to consider the issue and recommend a new national minimum wage. He said the constitution of the committee was in consonance with the provisions of the International Labour Organisation Convention on Nos.26,99 and 131 as well as guidance provided by the accompanying recommendations. “In a bid to achieve a holistic coverage, the prescribed tripartite structure went beyond the requirements of tripartism to tripartite – in order to cover other ...

Onnoghen: Buhari behaving like Hitler – Group

Onnoghen: Buhari behaving like Hitler – Group Acting CJN Published  25th January, 2019  The Advocacy for Integrity and Economic Development has described the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen as grand illegality, desecration of the garment of democracy and final stage of President Adolf Buhari Hitler’s Armageddon which must be stopped. In a statement in Abuja on Friday in reaction to the suspension of the head of Nigerian judiciary and signed by its Director of Publicity, Comrade O’Seun John, AIED stated that the action should be protested not just by every member of the Nigerian Body of Benchers but all patriots who hold dear the continuous existence of Nigeria. The statement said, “The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, today, unveiled fully his true personality after years of dilly dally and pretence as a reformed dictator. Muhammadu Buhari, whose action is likened to that of Adolf Hitler, has shown to...

Senate okays higher institutions for President’s hometown, nine others Published

Senate okays higher institutions for President’s hometown, nine other BTS MEDIA November 29,2018  The Senate on Wednesday approved the establishment of 10 new higher institutions across the country. The resolution was made after the federal lawmakers adopted the report of the Senate Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFund. The committee’s chairman, Jibrin Barau, presented the report for consideration. The 10 new higher institutions approved by the Senate include one polytechnic to be located in the hometown of President Muhammadu Buhari, Daura in Katsina State. The federal lawmakers agreed that the establishment of the institutions would open up the education space in the country. They also expressed the belief that the step would assist the country to fight illiteracy. The Senate also said that the approval of the establishment of the institutions was in line with the policy to establish polytechnics across the states. The approved institutions inclu...