Skip to main content

Buhari’s aide, Lauretta Onochie, exposed for posting fake news, photo about Atiku

Buhari’s aide, Lauretta Onochie, exposed for posting fake news, photo about Atiku

BTS MEDIA 
December 4,2018 

A media aide to President Muhammadu Buhari, Ms Lauretta Onochie, has been exposed for posting a fake photograph, allegedly of the Peoples Democratic Party’s Sokoto rally, which held on Monday.
Also, one Facebook user named Zara Gift Onyinye, posted the same picture and tagged it “This is how it happened in Sokoto today. Shameless, to say the least.”
The Facebook post has since garnered over 1,939 shares and 152 comments as of the time of filing this report.
The exposure was made possible by the collaborative verification of journalists under the aegis of Cross Check Nigeria initiative.
Onochie had claimed that the PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, had distributed cash and food at his Sokoto rally held on Monday.
Using her verified Twitter handle, @Laurestar, Onochie had tweeted an image supposedly from the Sokoto campaign rally.
See the tweet:
While the tweet has garnered multiple retweets, we have found the image to be recycled and manipulated.
Having reversed search the image, we found that the same first appeared online in February 2017 when a Lagos-based Charity foundation released photos from an outreach.
The same image was reused to publicise a Nollywood actor’s orphanage visit, two days later also in February 2017.
It was also published by Kemi Filani News in a story entitled, ‘This is how actress Ruth Eze and her friends celebrated their Valentine’s Day (Photos)’ and dated February 21, 2017.
In essence, the photograph predated the alleged Atiku Sokoto campaign rally by at least 19 months.
We, therefore, submit that this image does not support the claim that presidential hopeful, Atiku, induced voters with cash or gift at his December 3, 2018 Sokoto campaign rally, since the photograph had been online over 19 months before Atiku’s rally.
See the same photograph as used variously by Onochie, Onyinye and Filani respectively:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ngige clarifies govt stand on minimum wage

Ngige clarifies govt stand on minimum wage Published  26 January, 2019  Dr. Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Employment says the minimum wage of N27, 000 is standard for all workers, but the Federal Government will pay federal workers N30,000. The minister made this known in a statement signed by Mrs lliya Rhoda, Assistant Director, Press, of the ministry in Abuja on Saturday. According to the minister, President Muhammadu Buhari constituted a Tripartite Committee on National Minimum Wage in November 2017 to consider the issue and recommend a new national minimum wage. He said the constitution of the committee was in consonance with the provisions of the International Labour Organisation Convention on Nos.26,99 and 131 as well as guidance provided by the accompanying recommendations. “In a bid to achieve a holistic coverage, the prescribed tripartite structure went beyond the requirements of tripartism to tripartite – in order to cover other ...

Onnoghen: Buhari behaving like Hitler – Group

Onnoghen: Buhari behaving like Hitler – Group Acting CJN Published  25th January, 2019  The Advocacy for Integrity and Economic Development has described the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen as grand illegality, desecration of the garment of democracy and final stage of President Adolf Buhari Hitler’s Armageddon which must be stopped. In a statement in Abuja on Friday in reaction to the suspension of the head of Nigerian judiciary and signed by its Director of Publicity, Comrade O’Seun John, AIED stated that the action should be protested not just by every member of the Nigerian Body of Benchers but all patriots who hold dear the continuous existence of Nigeria. The statement said, “The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, today, unveiled fully his true personality after years of dilly dally and pretence as a reformed dictator. Muhammadu Buhari, whose action is likened to that of Adolf Hitler, has shown to...

Senate okays higher institutions for President’s hometown, nine others Published

Senate okays higher institutions for President’s hometown, nine other BTS MEDIA November 29,2018  The Senate on Wednesday approved the establishment of 10 new higher institutions across the country. The resolution was made after the federal lawmakers adopted the report of the Senate Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFund. The committee’s chairman, Jibrin Barau, presented the report for consideration. The 10 new higher institutions approved by the Senate include one polytechnic to be located in the hometown of President Muhammadu Buhari, Daura in Katsina State. The federal lawmakers agreed that the establishment of the institutions would open up the education space in the country. They also expressed the belief that the step would assist the country to fight illiteracy. The Senate also said that the approval of the establishment of the institutions was in line with the policy to establish polytechnics across the states. The approved institutions inclu...